Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Whitey


I am a dog person...always have been and always will be so when this little cat showed up at our house about two weeks ago I told her to SCAT. She was crying, malnourished, and covered in ear mites. I didn't want the kids around it so I encouraged her to leave. After 2 days of this, I decided she was obviously not getting fed nor did she have any intentions of leaving so I caved and gave her some turkey and milk. She ate it then curled up on the back porch and fell asleep.
I called the city to report a stray cat...I KNOW...I KNOW! BUT..I had no idea where it came from or what diseases it may have so it had to be checked out by someone.
By the time they came out, we had all grown attached to the kitty. She was friendly, calm, and seemed sweet. When the "city animal officer" showed up I told him we wanted to keep it so he said the city would vaccinate it, microchip it, bathe it, treat the ear mites, and spade it for $60, but if I took it to a vet then it would cost much more. He was travelling around with three dogs, a parakeet, a raccoon, and a possum all caged in the back of his truck. I found his collection of animals very entertaining. He took the kitten and told me the city had to hold it for 5 days in case the owner claimed it, but then it would be up for adoption. The 5 days past and they called to tell us know she was available and asked if we were still interested. I had to go down for an interview to adopt this cat!!! Seriously, they wanted to know all kinds of things about our house and family. It was a little intense. Did you know we live in a town with a leash law for cats!? They frowned upon my stating this would be an outdoor cat!! Well, believe it or not we were selected so meet Whitey. The Preschooler named her. Bless his heart. He comes by his pet naming skills honestly. We once had a black lab named "Big Dog".
We're real original when it comes to pet names. :)
Don't tell anyone, but I kind of like her.

3 comments:

Solar Powered said...

Oh, I like her too! I can see why she won you over...her sweetness shows just in those pictures. Easier to manage that a lab puppy any day! Good choice. Also it makes it kind of special when they find you.

nanny said...

I think she is a beautiful cat! I've never had one either but I would keep her too.

Harle13 said...

Hello! you could have easily had Chunk, for free!!!