
If you have your Christmas music playing in the background and are feeling extra special this morning, then let me take this moment to proclaim my Debbie Downer Disclosure that you should stop reading now.
There are many things about this holiday season that I love.
* I enjoy the decorations. I like decorations in my house and enjoy seeing them everywhere else. The Commander might tell you this is not in fact true. He over heard a few words that are not appropriate for a preschooler's innocent ears. Those words typically only come out around this time of year when garland is involved. Once it is up, I enjoy admiring it until Jan 2 when it all comes down which brings me to my second point.
* All this work is put into rushing around for the perfect gift, hanging ornaments so the tree is evenly dispersed, and wrapping presents like a mad woman to get them under the tree and then in a split second it's over. Every year it is stated that we will open gifts one person at a time, but then the madness begins and it seems as though paper is flying then it's over. I leave never knowing who got what and because this is my blog, right now, I can make it about me.
* I'm good with the Jesus side of Christmas. My good friend, Self taught Stylist, and I were always in the church's living Christmas tree and it was fun. I can't sing a note in tune, but the people were always nice and the music uplifting so I enjoyed being a part of it. (Self Taught Stylist refuses to blog, but you would love her). I never joined the Living Christmas Tree from my college church, but they had flying angels and all. It was a big production.
*People get all crazy this time of year. The Commander and I overheard two ladies yelling at each other from their vehicles over a parking spot. Really? I wanted to yell "You are fighting over a parking spot!". "In the big scheme of life, is it really that important?" I thought they both might attack me so thought it best to keep walking.
**(I have to talk myself down from these types of situations all the time when it comes to driving and remind myself about the insignificance of the issue at hand.)
I had to go to the mall yesterday for ONE item that was left out of my bag. The store was kind enough to replace it for me, but it was absolute MADNESS. The kiosk workers in the mall are just trying to pay their bills like any of us, but I really don't want them asking me to straighten my hair every time I walk by. I also don't want to try the lotion or put on a pony tail extension. Gross. They seem to go out of their way to get your attention especially if you are intentionally not making eye contact or talking on your phone. NO THANK YOU.
* I do like the "magic" of Christmas for kids. We have an Elf on the Shelf, Elfira, who does mischievous things. I'm OK with taking the kids to sit on Santa's lap in hopes they will not be traumatized by it. I enjoy having the yearly Santa pictures displayed. However, the germophobe that I am always hopes that Santa sanitizes his hands between visits.
I don't like the expensive packages required if you want Santa pictures. Our fancy outdoor mall allows you to use your own camera so we usually venture up there to see him. I haven't done that this year due to my lingering bah humbug spirit.
*I shop early to avoid the chaos of the stores, but this year I had a few gifts left to purchase after the arrival of evil Friday. I lose things when I'm rushing around like a chicken. I inadvertently threw away two gifts. That's right..in the trash! That's the only explanation since I have searched high and low for them. I have been known to find missing things in the trash, but these got away. Did you see the red food processor and hand mixer in the Wal Mart ad for $4 each? Well, I wanted them for me and now they are gone! Thankfully it wasn't an elaborate purchase, but it's frustrating all the same.
So there are my annual Scroogy holiday issues...I promise to put on the Christmas music this week and participate in some of the holiday cheer. Anyone still here? If so, thanks for indulging me in my moment.
4 comments:
Amen, Amen, Amen...remember after 9/11 how everyone in the city was suddenly nice? How soon we forget? Good for you for talking yourself down and carrying on. Ironic that this time of year brings our the worst in people rather than the best but it all comes back to us losing sight of what it's all about. I love to shop and give to others but if everyone else wanted to quit with the presents and give the small fortune to charity, It would be fine with me.
It was on our news that the santas in DFW are fighting swine flu by sanitizing. Somehow Santa loses his luster when there is a huge pump jar of purel by his lap that each kid has to use before climbing aboard!
I could go on and on but I'll stop.
Good post.
Good Post.
I want you to know how much I enjoyed watching you in the Living Christmas Tree..it was beautiful and I loved it so much.
Last time I was at Park Plaza I thought one of those people was gonna follow me in a store wanting to do my nails or something!!!!! Almost like he enjoyed seeing me run away!
Amen. There's just nothing else to say.
So, so true.
1. I always wanted to be in the Singing Christmas Tree...but I'm REALLY bad.
2. I'm totally with you on the hand lotion thing. If I'm interested, I promise you I'll stop.
Post a Comment