Sunday, May 16, 2010

Road trip.

This is the Commander's busy season which means it's just me and the kids. Grandaddy is playing in a golf tournament near Memphis so we are tagging along to have some fun of our own. My cousin is meeting us tomorrow and we will be zoo bound. Did you know the Memphis zoo is ranked #1 in America. We don't have a good zoo so we're looking forward to it.
I'm typing this while sandwiched between the wild thing and preschooler in the backseat of the car. We've already laughed at the differences between making this trip today vs traveling when I was a preschooler. There were no phones available to use in the car. Our first cell phone came attached to the car. We didn't have service to it, but it was still a cool feature. It was huge and came in a black bag. The preschooler is watching sesame street on his DVD player. There were no DVD players when I was growing up. Our only entertainment in the car was a book or toy. Sometimes I traveled with my speak-n-spell. Remember those? It was cool!! We played games by looking out the window. One of my favorites was the license plate game. Now, here I am blogging in the car. These are new and different times for sure. I have to admit it does make travelling much more enjoyable.

2 comments:

Solar Powered said...

I'm going to force Lila to travel old school one of these days at least once :)

Have fun at the zoo! Can't wait to see pictures.

Kathryn said...

Awww man! I was at the Memphis Zoo yesterday! I can't believe we are going to be so close....and not be able to meet. Dang work for getting in the way!

Hope you have a great time. We thought it was a beautiful zoo!