Monday, January 24, 2011

What do you buy from Sam's Club?

That seems to be the question of the week. Apparently, I go to Sam's more than the average shopper. That would be at least once a week so if I was all organized then I would have a fancy shopping list made into a spreadsheet with my regular items listed and categorized by aisles so I could check them off, but that's just not my style so I usually end up making multiple trips. It's a good thing you can get discounted gas at Sam's. There's my first item. Buy your gas at Sam's Club. It's usually $0.05 cheaper than surrounding gas stations.

We've purchased high quality furniture, jewelry, household items, and dinner from Sam's. They currently have a SWEET yellow diamond ring that I LOVE stalking every time I browse by the jewelry counter. It's more than I paid for my car!!!!
I looked at a pair of ear rings for a year before finally getting them. Then I lost one the first time I wore them! I retraced every one of my steps and found it the next day. (in the dishwasher!) Can we say lucky?

I don't usually buy my clothes there, but today there was a "special buy" that I couldn't pass up for spring.
Check out these cute Izod cardigans.


So here's the run down on my regular Sam's items:
*Hamburger meat. Get it in a 5-7 lb package and freeze it in 1 lb portions. I don't know if it's really a great deal from the grocery store, but I like having it in my freezer without having to buy meat every week.
*boneless, skinless chicken tenderloins. Again, I just like having it on hand.
*Shredded cheese. I repackage it and freeze it 1 quart freezer bags.
*Taco seasoning. It's good to have for a quick taco dinner or to use in soups.
*baby wipes. They're thick and soft. Each package has a reclosable opening so they're convenient to keep in the car for wiping up messes.
*Diced tomatoes and cans of rotel.
*Wet Swiffer wipes
*Lysol-save a spray bottle and fill it up over and over. It's a one stop shop for cleaning house.
*Paper plates
*eggs
*Rotisserie chicken and baby back ribs--I usually fix twice baked potatoes with them for a yummy, quick meal.

Here's what I have learned NOT to buy from Sam's club.
*Milk--I've blogged about my issue with their milk here. It spills.
*Most Produce and prewashed lettuce. We end up wasting most of it unless I find someone to split it with. I did buy the cutie oranges today because they are GOOD, easy to peel, and we'll eat those up fast.
*Member's mark gummy vitamins--they stick together and are next to impossible to get out of the container.
*Items that can be purchased with a coupon at another store. Speaking of coupons...did you know printable coupons can be printed from Target's website and used with a manufacturer coupon? NICE, huh?

The occasional treats:

*CANDY! In bulk! yes, please!
*Boneless bbq wings
*Southwest egg rolls--oh.my.word! They are so good!
*White cheese dip and chips

So there's my Sam's run down. What do you buy from Sam's?

8 comments:

Solar Powered said...

toilet paper, paper towels, ziplock bags and dog food...oh and tires and batteries. Like you, I don't know if they are a good deal but I like having those items on hand and I like how fast they are in the auto section.

Alison said...

I forgot paper towels and batteries. We used to buy our tires from Sam's but the Commander found a place online that is better so we've been going with them for a while now. I'll have to get the name of the website. The sister just bought her's from them too.

nanny said...

Baby back ribs, ribeye steaks(delicious), olives and usually a buggy of misc.......

Jill from Killeny Glen said...

Love Sam's Club! I love it that Sam's carries Carter's footie pajamas for $6.99 and darling SPEEDO swim suits for girls for $9.99...I pay AT LEAST DOUBLE in regular stores. We adore their cocktail croissants and make sandwiches or chicken salad to put on them! (NOT good FOR you but yummy!) And with a family of SEVEN...we buy a lot more items there than I care to THINK about. I tell the kids ALL the time...if we didn't have to eat we'd be RICH!

I am going to have to try their ribs based on yours and Nanny's recommendation!

Anonymous said...

i never go... probably should, but i don't. i hate the grocery store - and sam's is the grocery store on steriods... gives me chills just thinking about it!

and those sweaters are too cute! was the price good?

Katie said...

This is funny, Alison! We really need to meet up there! I'll be close to the icees, ha!

I buy diapers, wipes, tp, paper towels, kleenex, peaches, milk (although I dropped a gallon in the garage one time...not good!), bread, chips, pork tenders...

Keri said...

I haven't tried their ribs but I will now. The rotisserie chicken is awesome though. I buy ground beef and chicken there and do the same you do, freeze in one lb portions. I agree about the milk. It's cheaper than Walmart but I just hate the jug! We always buy steaks there! They are much cheaper than a meat store and just as good! If you don't find what you want in the case they will specially cut them for you! Bread, chips, coffee, taco seasoning, sliced cheese, diapers, nuts are pretty much our staples at Sam's. I always have to browse through the clothes, you can find some really good deals on them! And I just bought a new rug for my living room from Sam's and got an awesome deal! I heart Sam's!

amy said...

I'm totally with you on your first three items. I also buy sliced cheese, orange juice & bread. Love me some Sams. HOWEVER, We have COSTCO in Bham and sometimes I covet my friends memberships. SSSHHHHH don't tell any of my other Arkansans. I kinda feel like I'm a traitor just mentioning it.