Update: You can read more information about this website at snopes.com
There is some speculation that Snopes is actually trying to collect email addresses. Again, in my opinion, this should be illegal!
Did you know your information is on the web for anyone to view? Of course you did, but maybe you didn't know that www.spokeo.com has collected it from multiple websites and for a bargain price of $2.95 anyone can see pictures of your family and other nice details of your life.
Thankfully, one of my friends posted spokeo.com awareness information as her facebook status.
Are you ready to be shocked?
Go To www.spokeo.com and find yourself.
Be sure to scroll down the little box to read all the free information about your life. Got kids? That's on there too. I thought everything was true if it came from the internet and lo and behold www.spokeo.com had to go and say my house was worth
$1M. They also indicate that I live in a below average neighborhood so which is it spokeo? These must be some real classy folks. I guess when you are collecting information on millions of Americans it's hard to get all the details correct so just be sure to find yourself and when you're done reading the facts about your life, that someone was kind enough to collect from various websites and online phonebooks, be sure to remove yourself and your family members by going to www.spokeo.com/privacy. Follow the directions provided and STOP SPOKEO!
These types of websites should be illegal. If individuals want their information available then they should be able to enroll with the websites, but an automatic enrollment seems wrong. I guess that's the freedom of information working in favor of the stalkers out there. Yikes.
6 comments:
I saw your facebook post and went there. I agree. I deleted us as soon as I could. It also said my house was worth $1M and that our neighborhood was below average. Crazy that information like that is so easily accessable.
O.M.Gosh. That is insane. Crazy. It didn't find our house (I'm guessing b/c we haven't been here that long) but wow. Thanks for the education!
I just heard about that site this week and immediately removed us!!! CRAZY!!!
OK~I went to remove myself but got a weird feeling about putting in my e-mail address, so I went to snopes.com first & it said that in their trials with requesting a profile being removed, it has never successfully worked. The profiles are still there, so they think Spokeo is actually trying to collect e-mail addresses!
Who knows if any of this is true...but thanks for the heads up! At least I know that my personal info is out there (most of which they listed in incorrect anyway.)
I will let my family know & they can decide what they want to do.
awful!! Did you just put your name in the Search Box? Didn't find me or Rick.
Yes. I couldn't find mom or dad either.
Post a Comment