Wednesday, January 21, 2009

cheater, cheater, enchilada eater...


Does it make me a blog cheater for getting this entry ready, but not actually posting it? I thought it would be a grand idea to have a blog ready for a day when I don't have time to come up with anything blog worthy.

While the toddler is busy with his trash truck and the baby is sleeping during the day (instead of at night), I'm going to post this enchilada recipe that is to die for! It's labor intensive, but OH SO WORTH IT!

Chicken Enchiladas with sauce

Enchilada Sauce (makes 3 cups):
2 tbsp oil
2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 14 oz can chicken broth
1 8oz tomato sauce
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Chicken enchiladas
3 cups enchilada sauce
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
3/4 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
1/4 cup sour cream
1 4 oz. can diced green chiles
corn or canola oil as needed
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
salt/pepper to taste
12 6' tortillas

Sauce: Heat oil in large saucepan, stir in flour and chili power, cook x 1 minute. Add remaining ingredients, bring to a bioil and simmer x 10 minutes.

Heat oven to 350.
Prepare enchilada sauce
In medium bowl, mix chicken, green onions, 1/2 cup cheddar, 1/2 cup mont. jack, sour cream, chiles, and cilantro. Stir 1.5 cup of inchilada sauce, season with salt/pepper and set aside.
Heat 1/2 of oil in large pan, fry tortillas one at a time for 10 sec. on each side. Drain on paper towel
Spray 9x13 with cooking spray.
spread small amount of sauce on bottom of dish.
spread 2 heaping tbsp of chicken mix on tortilla and roll up. place seam side down.
pour remaining sauce over and top with remaining cheeses.
bake until bubbly (15-20min). garnish with sour cream, and onions.

I fixed this the other night and put the commander on portion control so we could freeze 1/2 of them. It makes quite a bit.

I fixed Tracy's salsa recipe to go with it...YUM! (it makes alot so I recommend cutting it in 1/2 using 3 cans of a tomato/rotel combination)
1 can mexican tomatoes (drain)
2 cans regular tomatoes (drain)
2 cans rotel (use one mexican)
1 TBSP garlic salt
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
cilantro to taste
1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tbsp lemon juice
salt to taste
blend in blender until desired consistency. add spices and salt.
refrigerate.

1 comment:

nanny said...

Oh I love Mexican Food!