She is Martha. I am not.
After my last post, I'm pretty sure she might be showing off just a little with these pictures that appeared in my inbox. Go ahead and give them a try. I'll post the recipe. It looks simple enough, but it's not. She adds a cup of magic to these cookies to make them turn out so great. I've been battling this recipe for a while and the running score thus far-- cookies: 4 me: 0
Mom must have felt sorry for me this weekend because she let me in on a secret. UNSALTED BUTTER.
I'm trying them tomorrow. WE.SHALL.SEE!


The sister's sugar cookies:
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 stick butter
1/2 cup shortening
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups "packed" flour
1/2 tsp cream of tarter
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp soda
Mix packed flour, tarter, salt, and soda in a bowl. Cream butter and shortening together until light and fluffy. Add egg and sugar and mix well.
Add vanilla and dry ingredients then stir until lightly blended.
Roll our dough on a lightly floured board to 1/8 in thickness. Cut out and transfer to cookie sheet. Bake at 325 for approx 10 min.
Cool on cake rack.
Royal icing
2 egg whites
1/2 tsp lemon juice
3 c. sifted confect. sugar
food coloring
combine egg whites and lemon juice
gradually add sugar and stir until thick
(a knife drawn through the middle will leave a path)
Allow to firm, then put in airtight container.
7 comments:
they sure are pretty cookies....but you are Martha too!!!!
So for months i searched and tried sugar cookie and royal icing recipes and found the PERFECT and EASIEST one. The secret to these was separating the dough into 3 sections and putting it in the frig over night!!! They bake so much easier and don't get hard!!! Here is the site I found them at:
http://www.letsbakecookies.com/home
The BEST thing about that site is there are videos...which I need!!
Good luck and can't wait to see your pics!
wow, you will have it down in no time. Baking is an art.
I can never get cookies to look like that either.
Thanks your compliment on our Halloween costumes~we have fun dressing up every year!
I'm so excited that you're going to have your own booth at the holiday mrkt! I am going to try to make it~to shop~I worked our Junior League booth at Candy Cane Lane last weekend selling cookbooks. I hope I can make it on Sat~& hope you sell a lot!
Oh-as of tonight, I have Winter Dreams home tour tickets...let me know if you want to buy some!
Lindsay-what are the dates/times?
You gotta get ET... bet Riley would like it!
Recipes from a tool woman...very impressive :) I wish I were a tool woman-but I have a tool man in my back pocket ;)
Post a Comment