Saturday, November 21, 2009

Merry Thanksgiving, Happy Christmas.

Halloween. Thanksgiving. Christmas.
That is the order of the holidays as I grew up knowing them. The time between Thanksgiving and Christmas seemed like an eternity. The Christmas parade was in December. We took bags that went home full of candy thrown to the crowds from fancy, decorated CHRISTMAS floats. At the end of the parade, there was a contest for the top three floats. That town still knows how to put on a parade and I need to get my kids down there so they can experience it.
The title of tonight's parade should be called "The Worst Christmas Parade Ever". It is held in November prior to Thanksgiving. The only thing Christmas about this parade is Santa at the end. It's downright freaky, really.
The Wild Thing shook his head NO and the preschooler grabbed my coat when these puppets strolled by.


Next came Ronald McDonald and his pals. Is it just me or is he a little creepy?

The parade ends at the square where the lights are turned on for the season. This year the lights are LED to promote going green and sustainability. If I were mayor we would save money by turning them on in December after everyone has celebrated a proper Thanksgiving. If it's all about saving money then why not wait until the Christmas season to debut the Christmas lights? I would also increase the candy:kid ratio. Right now it appears that 1 in every 12 kids gets a broken candy cane or tootsie roll handed to them. There is no throwing of candy allowed.
Again, if I would mayor then I would say don't come to the parade if you are afraid of flying candy and the excitement level would be much greater.
Kids wouldn't have to cover their ears because of revving Toyota engines. The said engines were not decorated and did not disperse candy to the spectators. They were just loud in general.

I'll leave you with one of the many interesting "floats".

Merry Christmas from the closed furniture store.






5 comments:

Solar Powered said...

Ha! That Ronald Mcdonald was a little weird. Just now seeing the helping hands picture, so cute.

Jill from Killeny Glen said...

Hmmmm, I am a clown HATER on ALL levels so Ronald is NOT a favorite! Your parade was quite interesting!

Happy Thanksgiving to YOU!

Karen Sample said...

I'm with you Alison. I get so peeved about all the Christmas celebration BEFORE Thanksgiving even arrives. Those puppets creeped me out last year, and clowns are a big no-no for me. Looks like the lighting of the square needs an overhaul in a big way..

jag said...

It's not just you! CREEPY!

amyj said...

After going to that parade several years in a row, we decided to skip it this year and go to the parade in our neighbor town to the north. It's the only thing chickendale does better than our town, but it was a great parade. Ronald was there, though, but Hamburgular and Grimace didn't make it.