Thursday, January 28, 2010

Trusted and Not so Trusted Professions.

Did you know nurses rank #1 for America's Most Trusted Profession according to Gallup's annual Honesty and Ethics of Professions poll?

Pharmacists held this title from 1990-1996. Thanks to the Claritin reps, we were able to show case coffee mugs which served as bragging rights. HA!

It doesn't surprise me that nurses hold the title now. I know and work with some pretty awesome nurses.
Senators, who are slightly worse than members of congress, should take some nursing notes on how to improve their rankings. Other professions from the poll perceived as having low ethics include senators, stockbrokers, HMO managers, insurance salespeople, and lawyers.
Additionally, dentists, college teachers, and members of the clergy earn high marks from at least half of Americans. I think members of the electric companies should move up or down in the ratings depending on our impending ice storm. HA! We were some of the fortunate ones last year by only losing power for 12 hours. Others in our area were out for weeks. I'm remaining optimistic by trusting in my local electric company and placing them high in the rankings.

1 comment:

Jill from Killeny Glen said...

I work with nurses too...and like the BULK of them...respect them too...smarter than the docs on many levels!